From:
Doug and Robin Schantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:05:20 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Well, it seems that the general list population thinks I'm nuts.  Quite
possibly.  I must say that I am absolutely AMAZED at the responses I got
to my post yesterday when I had to add my two cents in about missing
gluten and the great smell of gluten-filled pesto pizza that I made for
my family.

When I logged onto email and found ALL those responses to my post, I
thought to myself, oh great--who have I offended?  But, I was happy to
see that all of the responses were positive and supportive.  Some even
sent me GF recipes for pesto pizza (thanks!). I was truly AMAZED at how
many people thought I should make one meal for the whole family that was
GF (taking into consideration that I have two kids who are picky--gluten
or not).  I thought I was doing the right thing by not "depriving" them
of the good-tasting foods in their gluten-filled world.  I do make my
own pizza and bread, and the things that I make are good--they're just
not the same.  I'm sure you all know that.  I just thought that I
shouldn't be selfish and make everyone adhere to my diet just because I
can't eat gluten.  Is that being too nice?  Apparently so.  Everyone
seemed to think so.

So, I made up a menu for next week's dinners that are all GF--for
everyone.  Hmmmm...I'm wondering how this will work out.  I'm already
seeing visions of leftovers sitting in the refrigerator.  I'm sure that
my husband, being a very supportive person, won't object.  He eats
whatever I make now and never complains about it.  I just don't want him
to feel "cheated."

So, thanks everybody for being supportive.  I'd be interested to hear
from anyone who has tried this and met with disaster.  Everyone who
responded to me said that they just decided that the whole family should
be GF and that was that.  Happily ever after.  Can this really happen?

Robin in Michigan