From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 01:03:31 -0400

I've been asked if corn is (in any way) an ingredient in Callard & Bowser's
Licorice Toffee. Answer: I'm not sure. I was also asked if I knew whether
flour was used to keep the candy from sticking to the manufacturing
equipment; again, no.

The ingredients are: glucose syrup, sugar, partially hydrogenated palm oil,
milk, butter, water, caramel color, salt, licorice extract, heavy cream,
natural flavor, blue 2.

Address: Callard & Bowser-Suchard, Inc., Dist., P.O. Box 185, Elmsford NY
10523. Though it says just below this: Made in Great Britain.

I regret that I haven't had (nor will I have) time to further research the
manufacture of this confection. Perhaps one of our British members can tell
us what the source of "glucose syrup" is, and if "caramel color" is likely
to have a wheat source. If anyone else has the time, I'm sure the licorice
lovers on the list (say that three times fast) will all be greatful for
more info.

Linda Blanchard
owner of a struggling new business
and mother of two kids at home
with another full time job on the side (#sigh#)
Midland TX USA

P.S. I find Callard & Bowser Toffees at my local Albertson's grocery store.