From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 15:39:28 EST

On 3/20/96, Karyn S. Friedman <[log in to unmask]> said on the Celiac List:

>Autism IS INDEED related to the malprocessing of certain proteins -
>primarily gluten and casein - into inappropriate neurotransmitters.
>
>Newest research indicates that [celiac and autism] are in fact distinct, since
>kids with autism only rarely show positive on the antibody test.  The
>correlation is that there is some gut permeability and malabsorption, and
>that a strict GF diet must be maintained.

This post was forwarded to Kalle Reichelt, who had the following comments:

It is true that endomycium tests is not very frequently positive. It is not
true for IgA against gliadin, gluten and casein however. In (1), we found in
44 DSM III diagnosed autistic children IgA antibodies  increased over and
above the normal upper limit in 12 out of 44 children , 8 with IgA against
gluten and 6 against gliadin; 4 (four) against lactoglobulin and 8 (eight)
against casein. This means an increased uptake from the gut but not coeliac
disease.(Some had antiboides against several proteins in one and the same
patient)

Reference:
1: Reichelt Kl et al (1991) Probable etiology and possible tretament of
childhood autism. Brain Dysfunct. 4:308-319.
All the best                            TINY

K. Reichelt
Pediatric Research Institute
N-0027 Oslo, Norway
E-mail: [log in to unmask]