From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:54:09 -0400

Re unexpected flattened villi....

Hey guys and gals...you are wonderful.  This is a quick partial summary.  Still premature, since biopsy itself hasn't come back.

1. I don't cheat.  I know celiacs who do, and I think they're nuts.  I was diagnosed in 1940's and went off diet in  late1950's when I was told I outgrew celiac (wrong!).  Had bloodwork and upper GI 20 years ago..came back positive, of course, and I went scrupulously, religiously, fanatically gluten-free for 20 years.  In the middle, 10 years ago, when GERD was getting really annoying, I had a second upper GI, which showed perfectly healed intestines.  Everything had healed!  Doctor and I were thrilled and I kept up what I was doing....while the market of available gf products exploded.  I stick to brands I know and trust, like Bob's Red Mill's gf stuff or Udi's or Rudi's.  I do not risk it.  I verify all my medications and pretty much gave up cosmetics.  I even check toothpaste, etc...the works.  I rarely even eat processed foods.  I'm a healthfood nut, and I cook from scratch, most of the time.  Lots of fresh veggies and fruit.    But, I do eat out and do travel...and drive people nuts with my attention to cross contamination and ingredients.

So the first thing to rule out is the assumption that I'm cheating, which, I'm not surprised came up on the listserv.

2. I've never been healthier...so absorption isn't a problem.  Hence the puzzlement.  Due to a renewed commitment to exercise and making my diet even healthier, my thryroid med dose was lowered for the first time in 16 years.  I'm temporarily off statins (I expect to go back on them).  The diabetes that was diagnosed two years ago....hasn't been seen since.   Osteoporosis has been osteopenia for years and doing well.  With supplements, my vit D levels have been great...wasn't always the case.   When I saw my family doctor in February for annual check up, he and I got down on the floor and did regular push-ups.....(I'm 68).  I work out like a nut....off to gym now.  So we're not seeing evidence of malabsorption.  And the new GI had me go for a larger battery of blood tests (including vit. B and iron), and the celiac battery.....All good. Thank God.

3. Recommendations from the listserv that I'll be looking at include breath test for SIBO, testing for other food sensitivities, and maybe going to one of the celiac centers.  I'm not far from the one at University of Penn in Philly (there's an office nearby), or the one at Columbia U. in NY or the one in Baltimore, MD.   Someone else considered dish soap.   And although I healed in the first ten years, I'm wondering about the sponges in my kitchen.....My non gf husband does eat a limited amount of wheat products at home, and extremely careful, but we use the same sink, dishwasher, etc.   Was o.k. the first 10 years, but maybe not now.  I'm grasping at straws.  (I'm surprised no-one mentioned kissing....but that didn't do it.)  I know I left some stuff out....I've been deluged with responses.  I'll go through it again.

And I'll keep you posted if any medical answers come back.  In the meantime, there's really nothing I can do about this, but research and continuing to eat right...and calm down.   I'm in great shape otherwise.  I think, honestly, my pride was hurt.  I guess I got too cocky about being symptom free.   Hang in there folks.....Some day, the pill will come!!! I just hope it does before I need a nursing home!!!

Thanks.  The support from my listmates is amazing.  Lin