From:
Graeme Chirnside <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graeme Chirnside <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:49:15 +1300

Re: Visiting Czech Republic

Thankyou to those who replied to my recent posting on this topic, with special reference to Prague.

The Czech Republic permits the use of Codex quality wheat starch in its 'GF' products. In my case I must avoid Codex wheat starch which narrows my choice to naturally GF foods. This raises a language problem.

1. Most replies suggested coeliacs take their own supplies of gluten free products when visiting Prague.

2. There is some information, including details of some GF foods and outlets, available from the Czech Coeliac Society at: www.coeliac.cz

3. I was forwarded the following which gives several outlets for GF products.  http://www.volny.cz/coeliac/eng/sbests.htm

'LS-Zetis' is not in the CBD.
The two 'Country Life' outlets are in the CBD.
'Natural' is in the CBD.

I have yet to find out which of the products available from these outlets are completely GF. ( ie no wheat starch )

3. I have been advised from Prague that the outlets with the widest range of GF products are:

Bezlepka
Poliklinika Modrany (hospital)
Soukalova 3355
Praha 4

and

Zdrava výziva
Na Slupi 9
Praha 2

4. To get around the language problem the following is useful.

The Schär  company of northern Italy has a manufacturing plant dedicated to producing GF products that contain no wheat starch. The company has a web site at www.schaer.com

Click on the English version. This illustrates and describes a range of Schaer breads/bread rolls etc. I understand ( but need to check ) unopened packets of these products have a one month life.

Schaer have been exporting their products to the Czech Republic for about six months. Schaer's products are definitely available from Bezlepka and I understand from Zdrava výziva as well. Bezlepka have the following web site:

http://www.bezlepka.prodejce.cz/nabidka.php

Go down the left menu and click on Schär. You will then find pictures of the Schaer products available at Bezlepka and their Czech prices.  Although the descriptions are in Czech the products have the same names/ingredients etc as in the English language version mentioned above. Making informed choices suddenly becomes easy.

I understand the outlet Zdrava výziva stocks the same products. They may be available in the CBD shops but I cannot confirm this at present.

5. The Schaer products are apparently available elsewhere in the Czech Republic.

I have no relationship with any of the companies mentioned in this posting.

I will be in Prague for several weeks in mid-2004. If I survive (!) I'll post a second summary.

Graeme
New Zealand.