From:
Joan K. Davitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:13:23 -0500

Dear Listmates,

Well the Knox company has won hands down. All of the reponses that listed a
brand indicated that Knox gelatin is GF. Several also explained where
gelatin comes from. The following response (from Gladys) sums up the
answers pretty well indeed.

My Webster's dictionary says,"a tasteless, odorless mixture of proteins
extracted by boiling skin, bones, etc."

From what I understand it is usually from cow bones, etc. This would also
seem to imply that any brand of gelatin is probably GF. But as always we
should probably double check.

It also implies that there is probably no such thing as a vegetarian
gelatin (sorry Andrea). You may want to ask some baking experts re: whether
you could substitute a fruit pectin (sure jello and certo are GF) for
gelatin. I presume you would get different results so if it is possible to
sub. I don't think it would be one for one.

Thanks all.
joan
Ardmore, PA, USA