From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:28:40 AST

To Cliff:

I don't think anyone is suggesting the world cater to people with
celiac disease, however, to ask for a meal on a plane or restaurant
that isn't going to make us sick and increase our chances of cancers,
I don't think is unreasonable, anymore than a diabetic is
unreasonable in asking for a special meal, or someone severely
allergic to, say, peanuts, which is deadly to them.  They always ask
what the ingredients are in anything they eat.  Why aren't we allowed
to do the same?  WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO THAT AND NOT FEEL GUILTY!
 Also, no one is suggesting that other people have to eat GF just
because we do!  That is just riduculous!  But to deny people of feeling
 frustrated and
alienated with this disease (or any disease for that matter) to me,
is to be very uncompassionate!  Let us all be aware of each others
challenges, whatever they may be.  I don't want anyone feeling sorry
for me, and I certainly don't feel sorry for myself, but we should
make others aware, that's all, just aware of the challenges we face
with this disease.  After all, it is our health we're  dealing with,
and if you don't have your health than nothing else really matters,
does it?
Hope you have a good day!

J. Conrad
Nova Scotia