Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:00:59 EST

Just came from my dentist who has always been very aware and sensitive to my
gluten/wheat situation.  However, something came up today that has never
happened before.

I would particularly appreciate any dental/chemical experts in our list serve
community weighing in on this question.  My dentist, me too, wants to know so
it doesn't occur with me or anyone else again.  Thanks.

I had a gum-line cavity filled 2 weeks ago.  From that time until today's
appointment, it has been extremely sensitive to cold and sweets.  No abatement in
the sensitivity.  Today the dentist used a product on the tooth called "Gluma
Desensitizer" (Heraeus Kulzer, Inc., Dental Products Division) composed of
glutaraldehyde, 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate, and pentanedial to start a
desensitizing process and switched my toothpaste to Provident 5000 (Haven't researched
it yet.).  As a result of the application, a burning sensation immediately
began near my lip where the tool was holding my lip away from the toothline, not
next to the tooth.  I thought that the tool had siphoned the chemical up to
the lip line.  I received a nickel-sized chemical (I think) burn on the inside
lip area and outer lip area of my lower lip.  It's swollen.  She immediately
wiped the area and had me wash it.  I've had no other physical reactions.  We
are puzzled as to how the possible burn could have gone to the lip.

I'm careful of all the products I use in this office and so are they.

As this is going back to the dentist, I will need scientific data to back up
any information.

1)  Is this a chemical, or other type, burn or a reaction to gluten?
2)  Any list serve dentist/physician had a celiac patient react in this way
from this combination of chemicals?
3)  Any other scientific possibilities that you might wish to add?

Many thanks to everyone.
Mary
California