From:
Suzanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:50:50 -0400

I tried to send this last week, but it must have disappeared.

I asked for advice about the diet for yeast problems.  It was a little
confusing because some people thought I was asking if I had to be on a
strict gluten free diet.  I've done my best with that.

I've gotten some great advice about changing my diet.  At first I was very
discouraged because it seemed so boring and difficult!  But there isgood
news.  There are foods which are antifungal, i.e. carrot juice, grapefuit
juice, onions and garlic.  I'm eating these things now.  Another person
from another list told me about the Glycemic Index of Foods.  It seems like
yeast feeds on sugar and this information is a big help in planning my
diet.  There are several web pages with this information.

There was information posted to this list that I missed about the Specific
Carbohydrate diet for BREAKING THE VICOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gottshall.  This
is probably related to the Glycemic Index.  One person mentioned that some
people have to stay on a strict gluten free diet and a yeast free diet.  I
don't plan to strictly avoid yeast because I think fruit and sugar are the
worst problem.  I am planning to permanently change my diet.  Until I get
better I'm eliminating tomatoes, potatoes, corn, sugar, all fruit,except
for an occasional banana and some juice, caffeine and alcohol.  I was
drinking grapefruit juice, but think it was aggravating my problem.  Now I
drink pure cranberry juice mixed with unfiltered apple juice.  On a
permanent basis I'm going to eliminate drinks with sweeteners, and all
grapes except for wine a few times a year, also I plan to avoid fruit most
of the time except for a couple of bananas a week.  Other than that I plan
to use the Glycemic Index to monitor my diet.  I may make some other
changes after I get more information about the diet.

One person thought she had a yeast problem and discovered that she had HPV
virus.  She has no more problems since she was treated with antibiotics.
Unfortunately, I definitely have a yeast problem.  Another person said that
it could really be vaginosis.  This was interesting because it is common
with fibromyalgia which I think I have.  I definitely have a yest
infection, but I may have something else too.

My doc perscribed diflucan, but one pill didn't do much.  I ordered some
special Aloe Vera juice and have been using it for a few days.  My symptoms
are definitely better, but still not gone.  I may try the BioK Plus (see
below) if I don't get better after another dose of diflucan.  I am already
taking Probiotics, Beta Carotene, Vitamin C and Zinc along with my daily
multi-vitamin and calcium.  This stuff all gets expensive!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Some of the responses are below.

Susanne

Here are some links that may help you in addition.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/celiac/index.htm

http://www.csagc.cjb.net/

http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ringiliac

http://www.finerhealth.com/

http://www.gfcfdiet.com/

http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html - This is the GF
listing that I synch with my Palm Pilot via Avant Go, so I always have a GF
list with me!