From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:39:57 -0500

My post requesting a cf alternative to evaporated milk for pumpkin pie was
posted to the list pretty late Wednesday night, so I've only gotten three
replies so far.  It took so long for the message to get sent out, that I had
already made my pies.  I used soy milk and teh custard seems a little loose,
but good enough for me.

I wanted to post this summary as early as possible in case anyone could use
the info in it to make pies today.  Basically, 2 people used milk
alternatives (almond or soy milk) and another made pumpkin pie without any
crust at all.

Here's the actual responses:
"Last time I made pumpkin pie I used the recipe on the Libby's can of
pumpkin and just substituted soy milk (vanilla Silk) and it was good!"

"My grown son with celiac likes crustless pumpkin pie "

"Twice now I have made the most delicious pumpkin pie using almond milk,
which I make myself by processing almonds in water:  I used about 1 cup
almonds to 2 cups water.  I threw the whole thing into the pie, pieces of
almonds and all.  It works fine, and gives a gentle special taste to the
pie.  I recommend it.
I didn't have to add anything special to make the custard work.  (I also use
powdered egg whites instead of whole eggs - no problem!"