From:
"K. Oland" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
K. Oland
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:02:56 -0400

The Cabot statement, while no doubt correct, does not in any way answer
whether their cultures are gwon on barley. Frankly, I've never heard of
growing cheese cultures on barley (other than those used in blues, greens
and stiltons). So, I contacted a local cheesemaker and this is what they
said about their cultures:

"Our cultures are lactic cultures. They are from Rhodia, the way I
understand the cultures are started with yeast then the yeast
'disappears'.  All cultures are done this way.  If you are concerned
about someone allergic to yeast, barley, rye or wheat."

It continued with information about a current customer, which I have
removed, who was celiac and yeast intolerant, who ate their cheese often.
SO, their cultures are grown on milk cultures, it appears. I know that Kraft
has a policy that no matter how small the source, barley would be disclosed,
so I doubt there is any in any of their cheeses (unless it is on the label).

The company above, FYI, is Sweetwater Valley Farms,
http://www.sweetwatervalley.com/.  All their cheeses should be gf (per their
prior email to me) and soy free. I have no interest in teh company, other
than supporting a local business that knows what they put into their
products.

Karen Oland

---