Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 12:48:08 -0500

I have been  reading the celiac line for some time now. Lisa was kind enough
to sign us on after reading of my research in autism and dietary
intervention.

I feel now that some things require clarification.

Many children and adults with autism can present with symptomology that
highly resembles that of an individual with celiac. Some biopsies even
demonstrate the same GI damage. *HOWEVER*, the mechanisms that we are
currently investigating do NOT suggest that the alpha-gliadin fraction of
gluten and casein found in dairy are the only issues. We have been evaluating
the molecular makeup of these similar storage proteins, and have found
additional protein sources that pose a problem. These include, but are not
limited to, zein, in corn, alpha (sub) S2 casein, also in corn, conglycinin
in soy AND other legumes. These components( of proteins)are very complex,
 and some still are not fully defined, so the evaluation is going rather
slowly. But there exist a number of similarities between inter- and
intramolecular bonds. Additionally, one has to take into consideration a
whole host of neurological (structural, physiological, chemical...)
manifestations when correlating with autism. The fact that 'autistic
symptoms' do NOT completely dissipate on a gluten free and dairy free diet,
indicates that the problems are similar, but not identical to those of a
celiac syndrome nature. There also may or may not be an immunological
response, as seen in celiac. Elimination of these foods helps, but does not
emeliorate the underlying biochemical disruptions.

The focus of our research, currently, is identification of  the biochemical
underpinnings of autism, with a concentration on methods to functionally
address these (without creating additional problems). Things are actually
beginning to look very good.

Just a little as to who I am... I have degrees in biology, chemistry (and
just short of a math degree). I did my undergrad research at the Mayo
Foundation in Rochester,Mn. in the Dept. of Pharmocology, on aequorin, a
calcium sensitive photoprotein extracted form jellyfish. I worked on
illucidating the molecular composition, utilizing various metal ligands,
measuring the amount of illumination, with a photomultiplier. The initial
hope was to be able to use the protein extract for studies on
neurotransmission, using light emmission as a measure of activity. I am also
a graduate from the Culinary Institute of America, where I worked in the
Department of Nutrition and was primarily responsible for the set up and
running of the food science lab (which has been closed in the years since I
left). I am also the mother of spontaneously conceived, mixed gender
(2boys,1girl), autistic triplets and an older daughter. This is where my
interest (and motivation!) in autism research comes from.

Please, try to keep in mind, when talking about cooking with celiac, that
there are a lot of chemical processes that occur during baking, that a number
of changes happen in proteins, carbohydrates, etc, when mixed and heat is
applied. For example, there has been a great deal of discussion on the good
and evil of vanilla, and alcohol bases. Remember, alcohol is volatile, and
evaporates when cooked. Many commercially prepared vanillas also have caramel
coloring added (even pure), so the antagonist many people feel may not be
related to a grain fraction in the alcohol, but to the addition of a coloring
agent generally derived from wheat. The trace of contaminant in alcohol would
be in parts per trillion, versus that in caramel color, which may be in parts
per million or thousand. Because of the 'labeling' laws currently in place,
they may/may not have to list ingredients, particularly if only used in the
processing. (For example, all corn, with the exception of SOME organic, is
treated in the US with sulphur dioxide PRIOR to processing, to help with
preservation). For those of us with concerns of overtaxing a cytochrome P-450
enyme substrate, this could prove to be a useful tidbit of info.

Well, I just felt it was time to throw in my 2 cents. Don't overlook food
chem , folks. It's pretty nifty stuff...

All the best,

Beth Crowell