From:
B. E. Irwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:15:59 -0800

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query about the availability gf
barium sulfate in Canada, and specifically Victoria.  I received about 15
replies and almost everyone told me not to get the test done unless the lab
could guarantee the barium sulfate was gf. Many people had bad experiences
taking barium sulfate that was not gluten-free. I received one reply from a
person in Victoria who stated that he had personally campaigned to have gf
barium sulfate available in Victoria labs (or at least have them willing to
special order).  Thanks for that -- it gave me hope.

My doctor's office did a pretty good job in locating a lab in town that did
assure me that the barium sulfate was gf.  I got the name of the product
from the lab and cross-checked Health Canada's Drug Product Database.  The
name of the product is:  Liquid Polibar Plus (din #00695912) made by
Therapex, a division of E-Z-M Canada.  Even tho' the bottle did not say
"gluten-free" so far I've had no ill effects from the test (done ~ 7 hrs.
ago).

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Barbara

Barbara Irwin
Victoria, B.C.  Canada

                      The Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done
                      should never interrupt the one who is doing it.