From:
Lee Ackerman-Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:05:06 EDT

In our area, and in most parts of the US, there is a food company named
Schwans that goes house to house(they carry a variety of products).  I
e-mailed them to find out the gf status of their products.  This was the
reply:
***
Hello
Thank you for writing. I do apologize but we don't have a list that we send
out to customer's. We ask that you call 1-800-544-6855. Our office hours are
from 7 am to 9 pm central time and we will be more than happy to look up the
ingredients for you.

Again, thank you for writing. Please let us know if we can be of further
assistance.

Krista DeSchepper
Customer Product Support
Ext. 7426
***
When I called, I told the person who answered that my child could not have
wheat, oats, barley, or rye.  She asked me if he had celiac disease, and
told me that they are very concious of whether their foods have gluten in
them.  Although they don't have a published list, they will look up each
item on the computer, and if there has been an inquiry on it, they can tell
you immediately if it is gluten free.  They research the sources of their
vinegar, food starch, and other ingredients. I was extremely pleased with
their knowledge and responsiveness, and wanted to pass it on!