From:
Toni Novick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:36:07 -0500

 Hello, I was overwhelmed by the number of replies I received Thank you,
thank you, thank you!!! I was astonished at how quickly  I received
replies I couldn't believe so many would take the time to answer
Originally I wrote----I have the following restaurant card in Spanish
for my upcoming trip Por orden medica me esta prohibido ingerir
alimentos que deriven de: trigo, avena, cebada y centeno por lo tanto
nada que sea apando o espesado con harina. - Maiz, arroz, patatas,
verduras, carne etc.estan permitidos en mi dieta asi tambien sopas y
salsas espesadas con maicena o harina de patatas. Muchas Gracias !

A translation of the above would make me more sure of its contents  and
perhaps someone could suggest a version that is more  explicit or
expansive such as no soy sauce etc.Thanks in advance (muchas gracias).
I received the following replies

1) I would suggest that you add to the end of the first sentence: que
sea apando o espesado con harina [de estos granos].

That way it may be a bit clearer that it is also flour of these
particular grains that must be avoided.

As far as soy sauce is concerned, it is not obvious to most people that
soy sauce contains wheat.  Therefore, they will not easily make the connection.

It would probably be necessary to mention soy sauce separately if you
think it might be an ingredient:

Otra cosa que frecuentemente contiene el trigo es la salsa de soja. No
puedo comerla.

Another thing that contains wheat is soy sauce.

The summer, 1998 issue of Lifeline contained a good card:

NO PUEDO COMER nada hecho con las harinas de trigo, cebada, avena,
centeno o mijo, tal como pan, pasta, fideos, pasteleria, hojaldre,
bizcocho y galletas; ni las salsas y sopas espesadas con dichas harinas
o sus feculas; tampoco las cervesas.

SI PUEDO COMER arroz, maiz, y papas, asi como todos las carnes y aves,
pescados y mariscos, frutas, ensaladas y legumbres, comidas de leche y
huevo, y vinos y licores.  Muchas gracias por su ayuda.

I can not eat anything made with the flour of wheat, barley, oats, rye
or millet, such as bread, pasta, noodles, pastries, puff pastries,
sponge cake and cookies; neither sauces nor soups thickened with these
grains or their starches; also not beer.

I can eat rice, corn and potatoes, as well as all meat, fowl and
seafood, fruit, salads and vegetables, food made with milk or eggs, and
wines and licores.  Thank you very much for your help.

2)Por orden medica me esta prohibido ingerir alimentos que contengan o
deriven del trigo, avena, cebada y centeno, (pan, galletas, bolleria,
macarrones, fideos, croquetas, malta, embutidos porque pueden contener
almidon de trigo, etc.)por lo tanto no me esta  permitido tomar ningun
alimento que este empanado, rebozado o espesado con harina.

Puedo tomar maiz, arroz, patatas, verduras, pescados y carnes (todos
estos alimentos a la plancha, hervidos, asados, guisados (salsas
espesadas con maicena o patata).

El aceite usado para los fritos (por ejemplo patatas fritas) tiene que
ser limpio (que no haya sido utilizado para freir empanados o
rebozados)para queno este contaminado.

Por favor, si tiene alguna duda durante la preparacion de la comida, no
dudeen preguntarme. Muchas gracias.

The problem with beans, peas, lentils..... is that they may contain
morcilla" or "chorizo" (blood sausage/black pudding or hard pork
sausage) so they also can contain starch wheat.-

3) Trigo = wheat  harina = flour  pan = bread

4) Our son is a celiac child. This means that his body cannot tolerate
gluten in any form. Generally but not exclusively, gluten comes from
wheat, barley, oats and rye based products. He cannot eat any foods
which have been in contact with gluten, e.g. biscuits, bread, the vast
majority of cereals, etc. Most sweets could have trace elements of
gluten. It also includes for example gravy, chips which have been cooked
in oil in which food covered in batter has been cooked. Any ingestion of
gluten, even the most minute, will produce a reaction ranging from
stomach cramp to sickness and diarrhoea.In addition to gluten, he is
also highly allergic to any foods containing soya or dairy products. All
dairy products such as yogurt, cheese milk etc, including goat products
are not allowed. Soya can be present in many processed foods and
margarines. Only 100% pure sunflower oils or olive oil can be used for
cooking.Please check with us first before taking a chance in giving him
any item of which you may be unsure. In our absence, please do not give
him any item of which you are not definite.

Nuestro hijo es celiaco.  Esto significa que su cuerpo no tolera el
Gluten en ninguna forma.  Generalmente, pero no exclusivamente, el
Gluten viene en productos derivados de la harina, la cebada, la avena Y
el centeno.  El no puede tomar ningun alimento que haya estado en
Contacto con gluten, por ejemplo galletas, pan, la mayor parte de los
Cereales..etc.  La mayor parte de dulces tienen restos de gluten.Tambien
hay restos en, por ejemplo salsas, patatas fritas que han sido Cocinadas
en aceite en que anteriormente se han frito rebozados/
Empanados.Cualquier ingestion de gluten, incluso la mas pequena,
producira una Reaccion entre retortijones en el estomago hasta malestar
y diarrea.Ademas de al gluten, tambien es alergico a las comidas que
contienen Soja y a los productos lacteos...yogures, queso,
leche...incluso la Leche de cabra no le esta permitido.  Soja se
presenta de muchas Formas en las margarinas y otros productos.  Las
comidas solo se Pueden cocinar con aceites puros 100% de girasol y de
oliva.Por favor, comprueben con nosotros primero antes de correr ningun
Riesgo en darle nada antes de que estemos seguros.  En nuestra Ausencia,
por favor no le den nada a menos que esten completamente Seguros.