From:
Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:37:44 EST

I just got back from a Grand Opening of a new Schnucks Super Store ( They
are currently only in Missouri, Illinois & Indiana) where I was delighted
to see a special section of Wheat Free & Gluten Free pastas, soup mixes.
The store is fabulous and I found the Kosher Foods sections, so I know
that further exploring may yield more `eatables'.

I got a second bit of good news today by way of a phone call from
Wal-Mart Corporate Headquarters in Bentonville, Ark.  I had sent them a
letter asking if they could provide the names of the actual manufacturers
of the Great Value items marketed by Wal-Mart.  Anyway I was told that
because Wal-Mart may have the same item made by several different
manufacturers, it would be extremely difficult to be sure which plant the
package I had in had came from.

She went on to say that they are becoming more aware of the need to more
accurate ingredient lists for health reason, life style reason and for
religious reason.  Wal-Mart has decided that they would take on the task
of looking at all their labels and revising them where they can.  She
said it is going to take some time and they have barely gotten started on
it.

Things are changing out there.  I don't know if it is anything we are
doing or not doing of if it has nothing to do with us,  but we need to
keep tactfully working on the food makers - we can't stop now.

Grampa Jim
Missouri