From:
Paul Kelty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 13:55:19 EDT

    I am sorry, my mail auto sends, and this was still in progress this
morning.

SUMMARY:
    Unfortunately, what I was hoping was that someone had a magical solution
to the problem of these breads drying out in the freezer in the first place,
but the general consensus is that unlike their wheat cousins, the GF breads
in general turn into bricks when frozen.  I am one of the people in Mr.
Ritt's Bakery, and we are trying to put together breads that will freeze,
because that is the biggest hope that all of the people who come into our
store seem to have.  We can make great bread that lasts unfrozen for about
3-4 days, and thought we had the freezing problem solved, but it seems that
it has bit back at us.  We are working with beet fiber type additives in the
hopes that we can solve this problem, as well as other ingredients and
changes to our recipes.

The main suggestions were as follows-

1)  Freezing-
Cut the bread and freeze in slices.  Different methods were mentioned, but
the main thing that everyone seemed to say was freeze slices individually so
that they can be defrosted by slice as needed.  One person separates hers in
a ziploc with waxed paper, which seems to make sense to me.  From personal
experience, this can also work for pound cakes, cookies and other items.  The
less air that gets to the items, the longer they will last, so wrap them very
tightly and put them into a container.  For my personal use I like the
plastic shoeboxes like you get at Walmart etc....    You can stack them in
the freezer, put a tag in them to see what it there without opening them, and
keep as much air away from your goodies as possible.

2)  Thawing-
This seems to be a tricky thing, that everyone has their own opinion on, but
most prefer the microwave, with one person leaving it wrapped and defrosting
at room temperature.  Most either leave it in the wrapping to microwave it,
or wrap it in a paper towel.  Most recommended toasting the bread after
thawing.

    I have 2 things that I have come up with through numerous
experimentations that seems to work well for thawing and heating the bread.

    First, premoisturize your microwave by heating about 4 ounces of water in
it until it gives off steam.  A small flat dish works best for this because
it spreads out the water (increases surface area) and heats it quicker

    Second, put your bread or other goody into a damp cotton (the flat sack
towels with no nubs work best) or paper towel.  Not soaked, just damp.  Then
heat for 15-20 second intervals until soft.   This seems to work to make the
bread soft, as the flours will draw moisture from the air and the towel as
things heat up.

    I wish everyone luck with this, as it seems that bread is the toughest
issue for all of us, whether it be for providing for the celiac community, or
trying to work with it for personal use.

Thank you again for all of your help, and have a peaceful day,
Paul