Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:56:39 -0500

Here is the promised summary on the responses I received to my question
on whether the Clan Thompson guides are useful.

7 members said that the guides were at least somewhat useful, although 4
of these folks said that they are working on putting together their own
spreadsheet-type document in order to get all of their favorite products
and information in one format.  One of these members kindly attached her
document so I could see for myself (thank you!)  As I look at their
individual responses, it is about evenly divided between people who use
their palm-type computers and ones who print out the database and take
it with them.  (I do not have a palm computer.)

4 people found the guide(s) to be either not comprehensive enough, or
that it contained products not found in their area.  They also said that
once one learns which products are reliably GF, the guides are not very
helpful.  One said she needed help with restaurants, which the guides do
not encompass.

1 person suggested that I learn to read labels and also to write to my
state Senator about the upcoming vote on the Food Allergen Bill.  Of
course I know that lists are quickly out of date, and I do call from the
grocery store before buying a product I haven't personally verified.

The main reason I was interested in the guides is that I have a young
child who is always interested in new food items being added to his
diet.  The guides may have products that I overlook in the grocery
store, but which would add variety to his diet, especially school
lunches and snacks.  I am also looking for portability, since it is
difficult to carry large binders into the store.  It would be nice to
have something always with me.

And with my middle-aged brain, I cannot count on remembering whether or
not a specific product is GF or not - I need memory aids!  I am glad for
those of you who can keep this information stored in your heads!  After
filing away dozens of account numbers, phone numbers, passwords, I find
that some information just won't stick!

I think I will try at least one of the pocket guides, although one of
the people who found it too regional is from Texas.  If nothing else, I
will be supporting a celiac business!

Thanks for your responses.  (I got the most responses from people who
were most interested in the summary!)

Juliane in Houston