From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:23:40 -0800

Hi, everyone,

  I'd like to thank everyone who replied.  I got a lot of very good information.  I will try to summarize all of it as best I can.

  There were a number of people who responded that had traveled to Italy and France that had very good experiences.  Almost everyone said to be sure to travel with snacks available, like nuts and dried fruit, crackers, snack bars, in case you are hungry and there is no food available, especially on the airplane.  While planning your trip, you should go to the website for the celiac society for the country you are traveling to.  Italy has a wonderful site at www.celiachia.it.  This site is in Italian.  If you click on the flag in the lower right corner, it will show the page in English.  That is so great.  It lists safe restaurants in a lot of different cities.  Italy is more knowledgable about CD than the US.  The celiac society for France is only in French, I believe.  Be sure to travel with the restaurant cards in their language to help you in restaurants.  The restaurant cards are available at Livingwithout.com.  Most everyone had said the larger cities would probably be
 easier, but that it even is possible to travel safely to the smaller cities if you have the restaurant card to help you with explaining your needs. Italy has restaurants that offer gluten-free pizza, but you should call with advance notice so they can have it for you.  I was also told that the restaurants that have gluten-free menus have a chef's hat displayed in their front window.  Italy also sells GF foods in farmacias in abundance, as well as in grocery stores.  The farmacias have a green cross so they can be easily identified.

  Also, they said France was less knowledgable than Italy about CD, but that they were very accommodating.  You have to be very careful of the sauces in France because many of them are started out with a roux, which is a mix of flour and butter.  But the creme brulee should be gluten-free!!

  All in all, traveling to these countries is definitely possible as long as you have the restaurant cards and be very cautious and prepared.  With that said, I am still figuring out when I will actually be going, be it this year or next year.  But this Listserv has been very helpful and has offered excellent advice.

  Thank you, everyone!!
  Denise