From:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melonie Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:49:59 -0700

Here is a summary of the posts I rec'd regarding going to Busch Gardens (Williamsburg, VA), Water Country USA (Williamsburg, VA) and Kings Dominion (Doswell, VA).  Thanks to everyone who responded. ~Melonie, Northern Virginia

Summary Busch Gardens/Water Country USA

June 2005

A Busch Gardens GF List can be obtained by calling (800)880-8861.  They have some disclaimer at the bottom about the information being intended for individual use &  sharing it with people, etc. ... so you must call them to get it yourself.  They emailed it to me directly within 10 minutes.  I would guess that someone is only at this phone number Monday through Friday, so plan accordingly.  The list is a very do-able one.  They also allow you to bring food into the park and store it at the health services area.  The rep said this is a "new service" for this year.

The other responses that I received were as follows:

Last summer Living Without magazine had a whole article on visiting Williamsburg and GF options. I'll check at home to see if I still have it.

Inside Busch gardens we took a chance on some b-b-qued turkey legs and corn on the cob at a fast food stand.....nobody got ill (not a ringing endorsement, but there it is).  At Kings Dominion we usually pack a picnic and leave the park to eat it mid-day.  They do have a dippin dots ice cream stand, and that is gf.  Near Williamsburg (not in a park, but on the highway) we found a Japanese Steak house called "kyoto Steak house" where we talked to the manager in the afternoon and then went in with our own soy sauce for dinner.  They reserved a station just for our family so there would be no cross contamination.

Please let me know what you find out

Last time we went to Williamsburg we stayed at Kingsmill Resort which has accommodations that include kitchens.  It's a beautiful facility with lots of golf and tennis (which I don't play) as well as a wonderful spa (which I did use!).  The resort also took a lot of time with me to go over the restaurant menus so that I could identify what items would be appropriate for me.  We didn't often eat on the grounds but it was nice to know that I had the information I needed if I had chosen to do so. When in Williamsburg, I usually frequent Trellis, which I have found to be extremely accommodating. When we went to Water Country, we brought our own food and we were able

To keep it in the First Aid Station, along with my son's epipen and other medication.  We did the same thing at Busch Gardens when my son was there for a band festival with his school band last month

If you're having trouble finding a gluten free restaurant, check out www.triumphdining.com for some excellent dining cards. I'm not usually a dining card fan, but these really go above and beyond to clearly explain the important points and nuances of our diet. The cards are available covering six global cuisines, and are customized to cover the unique pitfalls of each cuisine. You should be able to use them to eat almost anywhere you want, whether the restaurant is already familiar with the gluten free diet or not. The company hasn't officially launched yet, so the site needs a few last minute touches (like text edits), but it is living and taking orders.

If you are concerned about food allergens, such as peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, milk, egg or soy, please speak with a restaurant manager or supervisor to request recipes and product packaging labels before consuming any food items.  Trapper's Smokehouse looks like the best bet.