From:
Patty Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 12:24:15 -0800

I am summarizing results from the following inquiry:

"I have been trying to follow this diet for nearly three years, and I
feel great when I am successful.

"However, when I accidentally eat something I shouldn't, I am sick for
about two weeks.  Is there some sort of rule about what NOT to eat
while the gut is recovering from an eating error?  It seems as though
I feel fine as long as I don't eat at all, but many or most things
make me feel sleepy, exhausted, unable to cope with life when I am
recovering from an accidental ingestion of gluten-containing tiny
smidgens of things.  I don't think that avoiding food for two weeks
each time is a useful answer to the problem."
--------
Please note that I THOUGHT I was asking for help with the "sleepy,
exhausted, can't cope" aspects, but most of the replies seemed to lean
toward the physical manifestations of gluten-eating.

The answers were all over the place -- more starch/more protein, more
food/less food, soft food/scratchy food, etc.  Since few people
mentioned mental incapacity in their reply, I decided to see what
might suit me among the suggestions to get my body back in shape, and
hope the brain would follow.

I followed the suggestions for chicken soup, which has a very good
reputation generally, making my own from scratch with rice noodles.  I
was careful to pour off the fat after boiling the chicken.  I was
surprised.  Usually I am starved, my blood sugar level stays low, and
I want to eat everything in sight for days.  But a little of the soup
filled me up, and my insides quieted after just two modest
chicken-soup meals.

I also decided to discontinue dairy products, perhaps permanently,
which I suspect are causing esophagus problems (I know it doesn't make
sense, but I seem to get bad reflux when I eat dairy products).

Result:  Physically I feel quite good only one week after the
accidental ingestion (I still don't even know what it was!).

However, mentally, my executive functions have gone south for the
winter and I can't do anything without someone next to me pointing out
which step to do next.  On the other hand, this confusion is usually
accompanied by temporary depression and anxiety attacks, which lift
after about two weeks.  This time I had only TWO DAYS of depression
and anxiety attacks, which is just wonderful, since no one should have
to live in that state at all, ever.

Overall, I consider the chicken/rice noodle/no milk combination much
more successful than anything I have done before, and will continue it
in the future, expecting it to speed my recovery after accidental
gluten ingestion.  I am also trying to keep hydrated, since that is a
chronic problem for me and I know dehydration makes me weak.
-------------------------------
Parts of the actual answers I received follow:

	...  try eating very light foods, that are low in fat.  Fatty foods
are harder to break down than other foods as there is an enzyme that gets
damaged in the duodenum that is responsible for signaling to the gall bladder
to release bile to emulsify fats.

        I've found one thing that seems to help...  Eating a lot (and I mean
A LOT) of fiber to the point of 2 trips to the john a day seems to
speed up the recovery.
This is similar to the posts in which people say that taking Metamucil
immediately after an accident helps.  I've done this and it does help,
although I must drink copious amounts of water without which I end up
irregular.  It's easier to just eat a lot of fiber (veggies, fruit,
nuts, tapicoa bread, etc.).  Low fiber foods seem to have the opposite
effect.

	For me, eating white rice, GF rice cakes, and baked potatoes for
about 5 days after a Gluten poisioning as I call it, seems to work well and I
feel better much faster.

	I usually feel better if I go to a high protein diet (scrambled
eggs!).  Protein helps heal.

	...  it takes a long time for me to recover.  My GI Dr. said not to
eat or drink dairy products when sprue is active because it aggravates it.

	I decided to go on the theory that my stomach shuts down, empties
late, and dumps sludge into my intestines, which then fail to move.  This
describes what happens subjectively, and is my personal take on what I've
read on this list.  So, today I ate only Pavel's Russian yogurt (whole milk,
no flavors), some acidophilous capsules, and lemon verbena tea until I
finally felt hungry.  It worked, and I began to feel energetic and awake.  A
nice change.

	 I suspect that I respond to gluten by shutting down.  I certainly do
get constipated when I've had gluten, no matter what else I might put in
after or even just before.  I have begun to think this might be how we get
'leaky gut' and that the toxins that are hanging around inside for too long
are doing much of the damage.  If we can get our systems to keep moving by
introducing lots of 'good bacteria' maybe it will help.

	...  when I do get some gluten into my system, I am sick for 3 or 4
weeks or sometimes more it seems.  During this time, I usually feel better if
I do not eat, but typically have very strong food cravings that I do not have
when I am able to remain gluten-free.

        I find that scrambled eggs with lots of salt work well. Also homemade
chicken soup.

	One of the hardest things for me was learning not to stop eating when
I goofed and got sick.  You may have to pick carefully, but try not to stop.
Do choose foods that will help you replace potassium, salt and fluids.  The
body can't hold water without enough protien, either.  Getting rehydrated
helps me more than anything to get my energy back.

	I make a smoothy (call it my "formula") with a little orange juice
concentrate (potassium, C and carbos), banana (more carbs and minerals),
honey (more carbos and enzymes supposedly good for digestion), lots of water,
rice protien powder, a little flax seed oil (recommended by nutritionist the
Doc sent me to), and a dash of salt.  Sometimes add a bit of yogurt, but milk
products are hard for me, so I go carefully with it.

	I know exactly what you mean!  I try and drink lots of water and I
find thatdrinking a can of BOOST makes me feel the next best to not eating at
all.

        I sometimes become lactose intolerant for a week or two if I
accidentally ingest gluten,so I knowwhere you're coming from

	I find that drinking a glass of white wine seems to help my body
recover faster from an eating error.  ...  drinking a glass of white wine
right after you've made a mistake can make the reaction less serious, which
proved true for me--and then I found that it helps decrease the severity of
the symptoms even after I'm in the middle of a reaction.

        I've had the same problem as you after accidental gluten ingestion.
The only thing that even appeals to me food-wise is homemade chicken
soup......

... I usually don't want any chicken meat in the soup, just broth,
carrots, celery and rice or rice pasta.  Then again, my main
malabsorption problem has always been fluids and I think the chicken
soup is really good at restoring your fluid balance