From:
Jamie Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:56:50 -0600

First, let me thank all of you who responded to my post regarding DH.
Several of you indicated that my husband has a "severe" case.  This
thinking got the ball rolling.  He has been seeing his new dermatologist
every week for the past 4 weeks.  He has had two more skin biopsies and
today the new verdict came in.  It appears when he was first diagnosed
in July 1998 (which we have just found out that he never was officially
diagnosed-his medical reports stated "could be DH") the pathology
reports were conflicting.  The first test showed positive for DH, the
second test showed negative.  The new dermatologist redid the biopsy on
his leg and received the same report.  Postive-Negative.  Still not
convinced, he again took a biopsy of a new blister from his arm.  He
sent this one to Vanderbilt University.  He has now been diagnosed with
Linear IgA disease.  It is a fairly new disease-(first reported case in
1979).  Dapsone is the treatment used but I am receiving conflicting
reports as to the gluten free diet treatment.  The dermatologist said to
stay on the diet and continue the dapsone.  He didn't have any info
available but will have some sent from Vanderbilt.  My question is: What
is this disease?  I haven't found any sites with information that has
proven useful.  Most just give medical terminology and treatment.  I
want to know what causes this condition, what is the outlook, is this
curable or tolerable.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  If
you know of any on line groups for this, please let me know.  Again,
thanks for all of your information and support.  BTW-his Dapsone dosage
has been increased to 200 mg per day.

Thank you,
Jamie Knight