From:
Solange Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:57:48 EDT

HERE ARE SOME MORE RESPONSES..........

My worst
pain is under the arch toward the heel.  I've been told it's
due to the peripheral neuropathy, and that is backed up by
what I read in a new book, Numb Toes and Aching Soles:

Coping With Peripheral Neuropathy by John A. Senneff.  I
also have Sjogren's syndrome and that's what they attribute
the P.N. to.  You can also get P.N. from celiac alone.  Now
my Sjogren's doc says the pain on the sole of my foot is not
P.N. pain (how does he know? there are classic symptoms, but
also a lot of others that only those who live with it know
about) and I need to have an x-ray to rule out bone spurs.

He said if it's not that, maybe I have plantar faciatis.

Yeah, right.  I've heard of others on the list who have been
diagnosed with plantar fasciatis and I think they had to
have surgery to relieve it and then found that the pain
continued.

I received lots of advice from my doctor, such as stretching my foot in the
morning before getting out of bed (she recommended "writing" the abc's with
my foot), wearing a heel cup sideways, with the thick part to the inside, and
wearing tennis shoes all the time and no high-heels.  The only thing that
really has worked for me is wearing tennis shoes or soft-soled shoes all the
time.  It's not a cure but has greatly improved the pain so that it's not
such a problem.  Walking around barefoot on the hard floors at home really
aggravates this.

A few years ago, I had plantar faciatis in one foot.  I went to a podiatrist
who made a wrap for me (mostly an ace bandage I think).  I needed to put it
on before getting out of bed.  It helped a lot.  Now I mostly wear
comfortable shoes and I recommend Saucony running shoes.  He said a lot of
women wear them who have trouble with their feet.

I have no idea if it is tied into celiac disease, but my feet definitely
have problems. I wear Wolky "Nimes" sandals for dress and part of each day,
and New Balance running shoes. I had a metatarsal problem....lots of pain
....until finding the Nimes.

At the beginning I went to a podiatrist and he injected cortisone into my
heel which gave me very temporary relief. He made orthotics (inserts) to wear
in my shoes (which helped somewhat). Eventually, he sent me for physical
therapy where I was given a lot of stretching exercises for the feet and
hamstring muscles. That was the most helpful. Of course I got lazy and
stopped doing the exercises and its summertime and I'm wearing sandals (no
orthotics) and now I'm waking up in agony again, so I'm going to start the
exercises again and hope it works.

.  Before my diagnosis I had killer feet too---but now the pain is
related to certain foods I eat.  We need to step out of the 'no gluten
box' and start looking for other offending foods---and I have pursued
this knowing how my Mom did suffer so much.  My Mom had an extensive
library of health related books and I have looked at book marks and
clips and anything she was studying prior to my diagnosis because I
realized I was experiencing the same problems.  So now I am looking for
any food related helps----once in while I have taken NSAIDS--excederin--
because I am at a loss----these drugs don't really touch the ache and
pain though--- and so I'm on the look for what or why the stiff---sharp
pains--early AM or just getting up from a chair-----or a good day
running around--doing good things in the garden--- then sit down and go
to get up and theres crankey ankles as you rise----my daughter said---
oh, kankles---the humor is good to down grade the obvious senior stiff
movement as you get up your momentum---sooo, being on the look for
anything--- most recent I came across an article in Vegetarian Times--
July 2002---called Flex Time----the Lifestyle topic for the month--
called: Alternative approaches to arthritis-- by Annette Kornblum-----
your will find this a good read----this article ties up so many subjects
I have read.  Now, after you read the article---by the way if you can't
find it write me and I'll send you a copy---you will want to be aware of
acids---citric acid is everywhere---most often gluten free if American??-
-I'd have to check that again--- but acids in general--vit c---different
acids in vits---I really notice and avoid----you will gradually keep in
mind foods that are offending----and as you read the article the jury is
still out in the medical world---and they claim there needs to be more
study-- but mean time---we will have to figure it out for ourselves---
and as the article states one mans food is anothers poison

Two years ago I started having pain in my arches and heels. My GP said
it was because I was too heavy. Apparently, to him, this is the cause of
most ailments. :)  So he sent me to a foot doc who said I had plantars
fascitis and gave me heel cups to put in my shoes. Helped some but I still
had pain. Then, last year, out of the blue, I started having lower back
pain. My GP said it was because I was too heavy :) , but went ahead and
referred me for physical therapy. The therapist told me I had flat feet and
needed arch supports. I went to the Good Feet store and they made an ink
print of my foot and sure enough-flat, flat, flat. So I bought some
orthotics and haven't had any back or foot pain since.

I think I was told that Plantar Faciatis was due to short leg on one
side, which most folks have to one degree or another. Rather than do
expensive orthotics,  cut an ordinary kitchen sponge into the shape of
my heel and put it in that shoe, at the heel of course, and when it gets
packed down tight, just make a new one. It really did help and is
certainly inexpensive/

Actually this is a common problem for runners. Some solutions I've found
include getting orthotics to better support the arch of your foot as well as
rolling a golf ball or frozen bottle of water under the arch area and around
the metatarsals. I've also realized that a lack of potassium can cause
cramps in my feet.

don't know i f you are male or female but I recently started taking
hormones and my feet started to kill me... just like you are saying... I
cut back on the amount and am doing better.

Plantar fasciitis is fairly common with people as they get older or if
they are excercising a lot and comes from the tissue at the heel
breaking down (stretching/tearing) and not cushioning the nerves/acting
as a shock absorber.  While various neuropathies are associated with
(untreated) CD, this is not one.