From:
Amanda Lieberum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:32:32 -0600

My 3yo went for a follow-up visit with her GI earlier this week.  I am just
wondering if the line of tests he is requesting are logical or just being
overly cautious.

The first round of tests (while still on gluten products) showed an
abnormally high IgG level.  He felt that this was strong enough evidence to
schedule the biopsy.

She was put on a GF diet and her GI issues resolved. but no tests were
run.  We put her back on a regular diet for 3 weeks prior to biopsy,
symptoms returned and biopsy was conclusive with flattening of villi.
She was immediately returned to the GF diet and has been on it for 6
months. Recent blood tests show a resolution of high IgG levels.

The physician wants to return her to a diet containing gluten for 2-8 weeks
to get another reading of results.  He feels that he wants a clear set of
tests showing normal levels (current blood tests) on a GF diet, then
elevated levels off the diet and then a resolution to normal when placed
back on the diet.  I feel like we already have this, granted it's out of
order but it's there.

Has anyone else experienced a physician have a certain "order" in their
heads for the testing?

Also, does anyone know how to get a hold of the gluten powder?  I would
rather give her the powder than let her eat things she knows are off limits
and confuse her.

Amanda