From:
Beth Kassis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:25:11 -0800

Hi,

I recently contacted Seneca Foods Corp. about the GF status of their Seneca
Apple Chips.  I sent them a detailed explanation of what foods and
additives etc. that my daughter needed to avoid.  Here is the response i
recieved:

Thank you for your letter concerning Seneca Apple Chips and gluten.  The
Honey Apple chips do contain wheat flour and dairy.  The other flavors are
OK on this diet.  If you would E-mail me your mailing address, I will send
you our letter concerning this.

Jan Stouch, Seneca Foods Consumer Affairs.

So....I sent her another e-mail as follows:

Thank you for responding so quickly to my inquiry.  (gave her my address
etc. )
Also, if the Honey Apple Chips contain wheat flour, are they manufactured
along side or on the same equipment as the other flavors?  I am asking
because I am concerned about cross contamination.

Her response(within hours I might add):

The Honey Apple Chips are processed at the end of the day and the equipment
is washed down after processing so the machines are cleaned of any wheat
residue for the start of the next day pack.

So...it sounds like the other flavors are ok.  They include Granny Apple
chips and Caramel Apple Chips.  Costco has them in lunch box size bags and
My kids love them.

Sorry for being so long but I think it is nice to know sometimes how
manufacturers are responding to us consumers.

Beth
El Dorado Hills, CA