From:
"Jerry A." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:36:45 -0800

Hi. I posted an inquiry yesterday asking if anyone knew of a soy-free,
gluten-free mayonnaise and got about 20 replies back, 15 of them mentioning
Hellman’s as being soy and gluten free. This is incorrect. A check of
Hellman’s website for the ingredients of their “Real” mayonnaise shows the
following ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: SOYBEAN OIL, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, WATER, VINEGAR, SALT,
SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA USED TO PROTECT
QUILITY.

For all of Hellman’s mayos, the first or second ingredient is soybean oil.
“Vinegar” the way they are posting it is pretty generic. The question is
what kind of vinegar.

Anyway this is an fyi for future reference with regards to soy content.

btw, looks like I’ll probably be making my own mayo from gluten/soy free
ingredients as some of you suggested in your emails to me. I found some
recipes online last night. Some interesting and exotic sounding recipes that
you can see here: http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/list/dressing.htm#mayo

Thanks for all the tips though.

Be well,
Jerry