Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:17:02 -0400

After a recent post to the listserv about Pizza Fusion Pizza, I checked out their website & found they have locations not only in Florida & Georgia but also in: Arizona, California, Colorado, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington State.

As I was travelling through Pennsylvania I decided to take a 50 mile detour to the Gibsonia, PA location. Let me tell you it is located about a mile off of the PA turnpike, very easy to find and was well worth the detour!!!

Before going I had spoken with the manager/chef, Paul. He was very knowledgeable and made me feel very comfortable with issues pertaining to cross-contamination. The dough for all locations is made off-site in a completely gluten free location. The pizza is created in a separate room/area of the kitchen that is free of regular flour. The gluten free pizza is cooked on the top shelf of the pizza oven.  He was so accommodating and knowledgeable. He urged me to call first thing in the morning of the day I was coming to order the toppings for the pizza, so that they could be set aside, since the toppings could be contaminated when regular pizzas are being made.  They are reluctant to make gluten free pizzas, if your topping requests are not called in earlier in the day.

On a personal note, I have a whole milk allergy (not a lactose allergy). They use mozzarella that is a blend of part-skim & whole milk mozzarella, but they did have a part-skim mozzarella cheese that they were able to substitute. They also have soy cheese they can use.   Even the pizza cutter is clearly kept in a separate box that is marked gluten-free.

The pizza was wonderful. My first Pizzeria Pizza since being diagnosed over 6 years ago!!!   And I tend to be very sensitive to even minimal contamination and almost never eat out.  Check it out: www.pizzafusion.com

I have no affiliation with this company.  As they do make regular pizzas here as well, everyone must make the best decision for themselves.