From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:51:07 -0400

All, here's the third part of my summary...

Mildie

RE:  Quinine Sulfate (for leg cramps):

Each pill has from 200 to 350 mg in it. I doubt you'll get anywhere near
that amount in quinine water.

ADVERSE REACTIONS

 Thrombocytopenic purpura may follow the administration of quinine in
sensitive patients.  Drug withdrawal is usually followed by recovery.
Cinchona alkaloids may depress the hepatic enzyme system that synthesizes
Vitamin K dependent factors. The hypoprothrombineuric effect may enhance
the action of warfarin and other oral anticoagulants.

Quinine may produce symptoms of cinchonism, such as tinnitus, dizziness,
and gastrointestinal disturbance. If ringing in the ears, deafness, skin
rash or visual disturbances occur, the drug should be discontinued.

Seems to me that I've also heard that continued use may pose some risk to
the kidneys or liver. Ask your doc about this. I'm not sure.

-----------------------------

I was given that for leg cramps too. It helped me for a couple of days
and then it was ineffective.  Here is a quote from an excellent doctor
on the subject: "Quinine might be used in an effort to alleviate leg
cramps. However, due to possible side effects, it is less frequently
used than in the past. Leg cramps are a separate medical problem.   Leg
cramps can occur in normal individuals. Common causes include low
potassium levels secondary to the use of diuretics (water pills) and low
magnesium levels or low calcium levels which may be related to the
administration of a variety of medications. Low levels of thyroid
hormone will also result in leg cramps.  Also, they might be related to
antipsychotic drugs, cholesterol lowering medications and cortisone to
name a few. Cramps are generally painful and are not associated with any
peculiar posturing of the limb involved. It is this later feature that
differentiates cramps from dystonia.  Patients with re-occurring leg
cramps might ask their doctor to check their electrolytes, for thyroid
disease and a complete medical exam.  Also, the Package Insert/PDR
should be checked on all medications the patient is taking to see if
muscle spasms/leg cramps might be a side effect. Magnesium/calcium
supplements, such as Cal-Mag(r), and possibly Vitamin E might help.
Consult your qualified healthcare provider." If you want the URL let me
know ([log in to unmask]) and I will send where this segment
came from.  My leg cramps turned out to be Restless Leg Syndrome which
is totally separate.

 I took it for about a year. Until I found out the hard way those cramps
in my legs were a symptom of a much more than just cramps.  I had blood
clots in my legs and I had no pain or swelling in the area of the clots.
I no longer take quinine, have recovered from the blood clots and have
no more leg cramps.  This is very unusual.

----------------------

 About a year and a half ago I started taking calcium supplements, 600 mg a
day, because I read that it could reduce the chance of colon cancer.  I
found accidentally that within a day or so my leg cramps disappeared.  When
they started to return after a month I went up to 1200 mg per day.  I have
very little muscle cramping anymore, and when I do it is often after
diarrhea bouts that I figure are causing me to lose the calcium.  All that
is improving now that I'm diagnosed with celiac and have gone off wheat
etc.  My bone scan was normal upon diagnosis and I think it must have
helped that I have been on calcium all this time.  So, if you're not taking
calcium I would sure give it a shot for those muscle cramps.

My gastroenterologist suggested quinine water for leg cramps.

-----------------------------

Do you take a multi vitamin?  Sometimes that can help eg cramps too, making
sure you have enough of the B vitamins.

--------------------------------

before you do the quinine sulfate, try taking two B-complex vitamins in the
morning.  And magnesium.  The kind of leg cramps I get are more in my feet,
where it hurts to walk on them in the morning.  I can't remember if it's
supposed to respond to pantothenic acid or what, but you should be able to
cover it in a B-complex. I haven't had a problem lately, since I starting
getting aggressive about deficiencies.

Quinine water will help with the leg cramps. You want to be careful not
to get too much total quinine, however, because that causes
"cinchonism".  So, don't take both the pills and the quinine water.

In some people, leg cramps respond to a sufficiency of magnesium.