From:
Margaret Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 14:44:22 -0700

Since initially posting the recipe for the Killer Brownies I have
received several requests for clarification of the flour used and the
amount of Xanthan Gum used.

The GF flour mix, taken from Bette Hagman's books, consists of the
following ratios:

6 cups white rice flour
2 cups potato starch flour
        (aka potato starch, according to some recent posts)
1 cup tapioca flour

I used approximately 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum, roughly estimating 1
teaspoon per cup of flour.

However, on page 17 of "More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet" by B. Hagman,
the following statement is made:  "...and add xanthan gum in a ratio of
a little less than 1 teaspoon to a cup of flour in breads, 1/2 teaspoon
to a cup of flour in cakes and muffins, and none in most cookies..."
Lest I get in trouble for violating a copyright, that statement is
basically the direction I had for the amount of XG to use. I may attempt
them without XG in the future, treating them as cookies, and seeing what
happens. Either way I *will* eat them! (Quite good with vanilla ice
cream and chocolate syrup, I might add)

By the way, I have found Bette Hagman's books to be very informative
regarding different flours available (more than the ones mentioned
above) and when the use of alternate flours will enhance a recipe (and
her books have much more than bread and dessert recipes). I am just
starting out with the basics right now and haven't tried my brownies
with other GF flours, but they would probably work with about anything
given the overwhelming quantity of the other, more important stuff (like
sugar, butter, and cocoa!)

Again, I am happy to answer any questions regarding this recipe. Enjoy!
--
Margaret Pratt                E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Toxicology Program            http://www.orst.edu/~prattm/