From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:36:40 -0800

Hi All--

Boy, I had no idea that my query would hit a target
with so many people on the list! My original question
was:  Does anyone know if there is a possibility that
if one has a sensitivity to gluten, as we have, there
are environmental allergens one would have problems
with in terms of affecting how the bowel and colon
work? (I tend toward constipation when I ingest
gluten, and have noticed that even when I am totally
gf, if the pollen count is unusually high, I
experience the sluggish bowel and constipation)

I received approximately 12 responses from people
asking for a summary, as they experienced the same
difficulties. Two people suggested that perhaps any
antihistimine could cause the constipation, one person
noted that inhalation of any source of gluten would
eventually make its way to the gut, and one dietician
noted that the celiac diet was by its nature, low in
fiber, and celiacs needed to take special care to get
adequate servings of fruits and vegetables. I take an
antihistamine all year without experiencing
constipation, except when the pollen count is
excessively high, so I would discount the
antihistamine. I also drink lots of water, get
adequate servings of fruits and veggies, use guar gum
in baking, and even take a gf fiber supplement, so I
don't believe diet is the issue.

One person, however, provided a very interesting
theory:

"The explanation for this is very complicated, but the
short answer is that environmental allergens can cause
neurological symptoms (for me, one of my allergens
causes bladder spasms).  Constipation (or sluggish
bowels) can be neurologically mediated (which is why
alot of drugs that affect the nervous system cause
constipation).  IgE levels can trigger an enzyme that
acts on the CNS, and if you have a particularly weak
system then it can be more vulnerable.  Do you
experience any relief in your symptoms when you take
an antihistimine?  For more information you can try a
search on "Allergies and Nerve Growth Factor."

Maybe not the answer, but you never know.  Most
allergists are not aware of this reaction, by the
way."

I did a search on Google on Allergies and Nerve Growth
Factor and found a ton of reliable entries regarding
the possible relationship of allergies to neurological
symptoms. This may not only speak to the
food/environmental relationship, but also be a
possible explanation for the numerous neurological
symptoms many of us experience. I would suggest that
anyone with multiple allergies look further into this
subject.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I truly thought I
was grasping at straws trying to explain this change
in bowel habits during periods of high pollen counts.
Though it's not much consolation to those who
experience the same thing, at least we all know it's
not just us, individually, who suffer.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

PS--I thought it was interesting that all of the
women, typically, experience more constipation than
men, I don't know if there is significance in this.