From:
C. Hammelrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 10:54:36 -0700

I asked about the gluten free status of psyllium for a friend; following
are the responses.  Thanks to all who responded, I learned a lot!
Catherine in LV

Psyllium husks are the outside of psyllium seeds.  Yes, they're Gf if no
gluten has been added, and Metamucil is GF.

...the are the husk of a seed, that swells up when in contact with
water, and people use it for constipation.  As far as I know, they are
glutenfree.  The only thing is, they have a tendency (I read somewhere)
to not help with absorption of some minerals.  I myself, use flax seed
for this purpose.

Psyllium is an annual herb.  Latin name plantago psylliium L.  It
belongs to the plantain family.  It's seeds contain a mucilage that when
conbined with water, swells tremendously.  A gram of seed will expand
8-14 times.  Psylliium is said to relieve an ailment knows as
autointoxication, in which the body poisons itself by producing and
absorbing an excess of intestinal waste products  Psyllium removes the
offending substances.  It is used a lot in herbal colon cleanses as a
bulk or fiber substance to help push out old fecal matter that might be
lining the bowel.

They are a fiber that binds.  So they are great in case of a gluten
attack--at first sign take 1 tsp. psyllium in a glass of water, and
thereafter every 3 hours as needed.  It says they are a laxative, but
they also (sic) this anti-diarrhea effect.  I always have some with me,
just in case.