From:
Craig Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:17:37 -0500

Hi to all,

I received a call from my doctor 21 days ago, telling me that I have CD.
The reason I remember the exact date is that my first child was born 2 days
later.  Needless to say, life is pretty full right now, so the last thing I
needed was to be told that I had some rare genetic disorder for which there
is no cure, and oh by the way, I had to stop eating everything with gluten
in it...immediately and forever.  See a nutritionist, start shopping at
specialty stores...  Give up pasta?  Give up beer?  Gluten?  What the heck
is that?  Thanks to wonderful Net resources like this list and Websites, I
now know some -- but there is alot I need to learn.

Luckily the lack of sleep induced by my beautiful daughter has made food a
distant second priority.  As you can imagine, though, I'm having a difficult
time with this.  Reading all I can has been helpful (I'm reading Against the
Grain and the CSA general pub, and I've been scouring the Websites), but I
would love to hear how others in a similar situation to mine have handled
this adjustment.  To help qualify you: I am an active 30-year-old married
father and professional living in downtown Chicago (Lincoln Park).  I do a
lot of client breakfasts and lunches and business trips in the course of my
work, which is quickly proving to be near impossible to tolerate.  I've
always eaten whatever I've wanted, and my "problems" were tolerable.

Anyone willing to correspond and share their war stories would be greatly
appreciated.  As I manage through this and adapt, I'll give back what I can.

Thanks!

Craig