From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 11:10:55 -0700

I sent this as a response to Margaret Pratt's post, but also wanted to
send to the list as it so often comes up.

Many of us have had exactly the same results...the complete line of
Celiac symptoms and lifestyle restrictions with just borderline negative
Celiac test results.  Good luck.  Now every time you discuss where to go
and how to order your life, your doctor has the easy out of saying you're
not really a Celiac (read parenthetiaclly "It's all in your mind."), and will
offer no help.  GI's and neurologists do the same.  You either are a Celiac
or you're not.  They don't much know how to deal with "true" Celiac
disease and REALLY don't know how to deal with gluten enteropathy...
i.e., same symptoms, but no label to go by.   If they can't look it up in a
book under C-for-Celiac your problem doesn't exist to them.  Wish I could
be more positive, but I've got a good, relatively Celiac-aware physician
and this is as good as it gets for me.

This question comes over the net all too often.  I guess we should be
thankful we don't have the implications of true Celiac disease to look
forward to, but we've got the rest of our lives to live with the same
symptoms but in a gray area where nobody believes us (except our
spouses and relatives who see what we go through).  Least of all
medical professionals who could help us.

Jere Cordell