From:
Jennifer Chopson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 09:21:47 -0400

I would like to introduce myself.  I have a 5 year old daughter who is NT
(neuro-typical or "normal") and a 4 yr. old son w/ Autism.  We have had my
son on a gluten free/ casein free diet on and off for about 6 - 8 weeks.  I
say on and off because he was getting some gluten and casein containing
products when we weren't looking and some (like Ketchup) because we didn't
know they had gluten (or casein).  I would be interested in lists of easy -
to - find "legal" products (if there are any), cookbooks, fast food and
eating out ideas, etc.  We have found a mail order catalog (The name escapes
me at the moment).  We are using Soymage cheese, Rice Dream, Tapioca or Brown
Rice Bread by ENER G (or making my own using Bette Hageman's recipes).  I
would be interested in locating crackers and cheese/dairy substitutes.
I have an Aunt w/ Celiac Sprue (not a blood relative but by marriage) but I
do know of 2 families w/ a history of irritable bowel syndrome and/or Celiac
who have a child w/ Autism.  My mother has had in the past what her doctor
called Irritable Bowel.  When my son eats products w/ gluten he has MAJOR
TANTRUMS and is extremely non-compliant.  When he eats (too much) casein he
has diarrhea and tends to be whiny.  I have been letting him have small
amounts of casein - containing products.  I owuld like to hear from parents
of other children w/autism.  Does the sensitivity to the casein magnify the
sensitivity to the gluten?  Should I remove ALL casein even though small
amounts don't cause visible behavior or physical problems?  We did not do
urine test (not potty trained) or blood (could not afford it).
Thanks in advance.
Jennifer