From:
Malcolm and Ruth Chalkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:26:20 -0000

Hi Folks,
            I have a query here which some of you might be able to
answer for me....I wrote some months ago about my case, which involved
having major neurological problems before going GF, and taking vitamins
prior to diagnosis.

Well, since then I have made a very good recovery, but have just had
(two days ago and now gradually receding I think) a rather scary
reoccurrence of some of the symptoms, out of the blue, but following I
think an accidental gluten ingestion....I was at an end of term do,
where wine and nibbles were being served and whilst I stuck to salted
nuts, it occurred to me that I might have eaten nuts contaminated by
others eating them who  had also eaten  non gluten-free nibbles...
This is the only explanation I can give for having encountered gluten

BUT I am also on antibiotics (Erythromycin) for a persistent loose
cough (I understand all antibiotics in the UK are gluten free) and have
had a bowl of buckwheat flakes (Natural Path brand ) in the last few
days....

Perhaps the  listers and medics out there amongst you would care to
comment on the symptoms, because it has been a bit of a setback when I
have been so well recently.

Symptoms:-
Balance system affected - back to wide -based gait, tottering, 'steering
problems',stopping and starting and negotiating gradients...Clumsiness
in hands,feet .
Speech still preserved but cognitive difficulties, disorientation,some
depression (not something I am prone to ) recognition of familiar
places, forgetfulness....

Is this just an odd one off or something else?
Anybody else had this after a possible challenge?

Ruth (in Northern England)