From:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 22:10:26 -0700

For those who haven't seen this article yet, the link is
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/05/11/FDGC2CKG861.DTL

I thought this article was very well done, and gave good insight into some of
the challenges celiacs face. So I emailed it to relatives who've had problems
understanding the GF diet, and then I emailed it to my electred
representatives in Congress. I urge others to consider doing the same.

I included a note about why celiac should be a national issue - the health of
millions of Americans is at stake, and undiagnosed celiacs represent a huge
drain on the healthcare resources of this country. Point out to your
congressman that a national policy of screening children could save millions
later when they *don't* develop cancer or osteoporosis or anemia or any of the
dozens of other health problems which we are at increased risk for.

You all know why celiac needs better publicity - you live with it! So now pass
the word along to those in office. (o.k, off of soapbox now)

Maureen