From:
sweviolets <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sweviolets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:23:37 -0700

After a great deal of thought and consideration, I feel that I must respond to Tom Sullivan re: Consolidating Our Efforts, dated Mon, 26 Aug 2002.

To say that I was surprised by this letter and its tenants would be an understatement.  I would hope that the opinions expressed by Mr. Sullivan are his alone, and not the opinion and belief of CSA as an organization.

The concept of speaking with one voice is based on the belief that each of the national celiac organizations, although organizationally different, and with avenues of thought unique to each, has the common charter to aid those diagnosed with celiac disease.  This gives each of us a common goal, no matter what the acronym of the organization.  The concept of 'speaking with one voice' does not threaten the independence of any organization, but rather brings them together for strength in addressing issues that affect us all.  For example, working together to inform and influence those in our national government who have decision power in determining labeling laws does not lessen or negate any celiac organization.  In fact, it makes us heard as a group with a need that must be filled, irrespective of any organizational title.  I feel that an attitude that suggests that we do not need to cooperate on major issues for the 'common' good, because of fear that an organization might lose its uniqueness in the process, does not well serve those whom we are chartered to assist.

Irrespective of the organization we join, we all have to eat and eat safely.  It is a common denominator, and would seem like a good place to start to 'speak with one voice', with that voice being tens of thousands instead of just a few.  Mr. Sullivan seems to have concluded that individual people cannot work together, making intelligent decisions on their own, without a group doctrine to adhere to.

The common good would seem to be thrown aside by the discussion of group agendas, as if the agenda (whether correctly defined or not) is what erects the fence between groups rather than personalities.  All the major celiac groups have patient help, particularly for the newly diagnosed, as a recognized function of their charter.  How can an organization purport to be a leader in the helping of fellow celiacs without wanting to help ALL celiacs?  Does the collection of dues determine the extent of the organization's responsibility to the celiac community?  I would hope not!  That defines a business, not a nonprofit organization.

How can it be wrong to work for the common good?  How can it be wrong to open up avenues of dialogue?  The only thing that is 'wrong' is erecting fences to keep the imaginary status quo.

Respectfully,

Julie S. Hix

Immediate Past Chairman of the Board

Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG)