From:
Valerie dejongh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie dejongh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2003 21:10:21 -0500

HI Gang,

I received well over 30 responses to the question of whether Vietnamese
noodles (PHO) are gluten free.

Over 90% said that PHO noodles are rice based only and they eat them often
with no problems.

One person went on to say they are made of either 1) rice flour only    2)
rice flour and potato starch   3)  rice flour and wheat starch.  ALWAYS ASK!

5 people mentioned to be cautious eating the meat inside the PHO soup since
it could have been marinated with some soy sauce (which most types are a
wheat source so always ask.)

And lastly one person mentioned gluten could be in the broth.  The bottom
line is to check first.  Ask to speak to the cook, or to see the packaging
of the noodles since one person suggested fresh rice noodles are best,
packaged could have been dusted with wheat to keep them from sticking......

PS.  My daughter had PHO in San Antonio this weekend and it took her an
hour to eat it since she insisted on using chopsticks (she's 6).  We
relished every minute since it's been over 2 years since she's had some !

Thanks to all who responded !!

-Val in Texas