From:
Pauline Qn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 11:18:19 -0400

Following up on the questions I have received on Lactaid:

>       I saw your posting that Lactaid cannot be guaranteed GF.  Did the
>company give you any indication as to why this might be so?

Just called them again:  They do not put gluten in Lactaid itself.  However,
they can not garantee the containers their suppliers use in shipping are gf.
There may be trace amounts of gluten.

>Also, regarding the product you mentioned as being safe; as I cannot tell
>from your address where you are, would this product be American only, or
>could I buy it here, in Canada?

I am in Fremont,CA.  Dairy Aid is made in the U.S.A.  I don't know if it is
available in Canada.

>If Lactaid really is unsafe, I thought I might try soy milk; have you had
>any experience with this?

Sorry, I know nothing about soy milk.  I have always avoided milk (never
liked it since they used to try and make me drink it in school).  Since I
never use it I don't need a substitute -- I just take gf calcium suppliments.

 Am I correct in assuming that you are referring only to Lactaid tablets and
not Lactaid milk?  I don't (think I) have any problems with Lactaid milk, it
is only the tablets that have no effect.  Have any of you tried the milk?
Amy's glowing reference to "Better Than Milk", has got me very intrigued, and
I do plan to try it, but I can't help wondering if I should take a chemical
substitute when the "real thing" (almost) works just fine.  What do you
think?

Just found the answer:  The LACTAID MILK IS GF.  The DROPS AND CAPLETS may
not be.

Pauline