From:
"Susan K. DeVries" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:53:20 -0400

Here are several responses to my request for an onion ring recipe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have not tried this as am allergic to eggs, but
I make batter this way on chicken and veal culets sometimes.  Slice into
onion rings.  Take one egg or two egg whites and stir.  Add water to it
and mix.

Use coarse corn meal. Add whatever herbs you like, basil, rosemary, thyme,
pepper, salt. Dip the onion rings into the egg, then into the corn meal (
I use yellow corn meal) If you want a thick crust repeat the procedure
dipping it into the egg and then into the corn meal.  I do not deep fry,
but put in enough oil in a teflon pan to brown the crusts. You may
substitute any other flour if you are allergic to corn meal. But that
comes out best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Easy-- Beat up an egg and add
some milk.  Mix well.  Dip onion first in this mixture and then in corn
meal.  Can be repeated for a thicker coating.  Fry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Japanese Tempura Batter

1 egg, separated
1/2 cup rice flour (I use white)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or paprika)
1/2 cup cold water
Other herbs or seasonings as you desire, I use Tarragon for chicken

Beat egg yolk and water until frothy. Stir or beat in dry ingredients.
When smooth, let sit for 5 minutes.  Beat egg whites until stiff peaks
form.  Fold into or stir lightly into the above mixture.  Dip anything,
meat, veges, yes, onion rings and fry in hot Canola Oil (cholesterol
free).

Testimonials:  For 22 years, every non-celiac who has eaten my fried foods
has begged for recipe. They want to change just because this batter is
superior to anything they have eaten.

I have a different approach for Fried Shrimp, although this one is fine.

Fried Shrimp "Batter"

GF Corn Flakes Cereal-Crush to fine crumbs
Canned Evaporated Milk

Butterfly large shrimp, dip in bowl of evaporated milk, then dredge in
crushed corn flakes.  The fancy restaurants do this procedure twice.  Then
fry away, takes but a moment to cook, watch out for overcooking or
burning.  Again, you will get such raves you won't believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
try ordering the Miss Roben bread batter coating
mix, follow the bags instrutions with one exception first lightly dust the
rings with cornstarch.  then dip in coating mix, fry until done.  Enjoy!

Miss Roben
1-800-891-0083

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years ago I had a recipe for a deep-fry batter that used cornstarch, but
I've long since thrown it.  I found this one in a wok cookbook for
tempura - never tried it, but it's a possibility.
In a small bowl, combine:
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 Tbls. dry sherry

In another bowl, beat 2 egg whites lightly but not until brothy.
Gradually and gently stir into sherry mixture.

(This is for cashew chicken.  You're supposed to dip the chicken slices
into batter and then roll in cashews and deep fry.)

Thanks to everyone who shared their recipes

Susan