From:
Lucy Shriver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lucy Shriver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:31:14 -0500

Hello,

There seems to be some confusion about Spelt when shopping at Central Market. They are telling people in both Austin and Plano that their Spelt Bread is gluten free.

Spelt is not gluten free, it contains gluten. It is low in gluten but it still contains gluten so it is definently a no-no.
I have recieved many personal letters from people asking me why I have Spelt on the avoid list at my website when the bakery managers of this store is telling them it is indeed gluten free.

I personally shopped the Plano Store and asked if they had any gluten free bread and they took me straight to the Spelt bread. I spoke to the bakery manager (or so she stated) and she told me that gluten was sugar. I explained to her what gluten was and she continued to tell me know that she was sure it was sugar. ( her two co-workers where in total agreement with her). She tried to tell me I was wrong until I told her who I was and that I am very versed in what gluten is and that I was just conducting a test of my own to see if it was really true that they were selling Spelt bread as gluten free. She then said that when people come in to the store asking for sugar free, yeast free or dairy free bread she tells them they just need to leave bread alone. I told her that she was also wrong about that and it was very sad to hear her say that because they have a wonderful section of gluten free, yeast free, sugar free and/or dairy free breads in the thier frozen section.

I currently have a call into the corporate office to see what can be done to educate the staff in their stores. The lady I spoke to in the vice president office did not have a clue what gluten was and said she would have one of the V.P.'s contact me. They have not and I spoke to her early Friday morning. I have not been into the Austin stores to conduct my test, my sister lives there and is supposed to go in this week and she what they tell her.

I will keep you updated on my contacts with Central Market and just remember not take anything for granted when shopping. Sometimes the most well meaning store clerks can be sadly misinformed about what is gluten free, diary free, ect.

Have a great weekend,

Lucy Shriver
The Gluten Free Kitchen
http://gfkitchen.server101.com