From:
Jami Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jami Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:11:23 -0700

Wow thank you for all the responses.  Not only did it bring me to tears, my
INbox CRASHED!!!!
I have been reading responses for days now and I am brought to tears with
each supporting answer I receive.

Only one person responded out right that it would be rude to contact the
hostess or bring my own food with me.

Some said that depending on how it is handled it can be rude.  Like not
explaining the health concerns or sounding like the cost of the item is a
concern (maybe she bought a brand that is not considered "posh").

In this case, I do know the person, but I have no way of getting her
contact information except through my sister who is "gluten blocking" me.
(We are not a close family, so I do not have contact info for her in-laws)

one reply:   Did you know that we  can get the DNA testing done
without a doctor's
prescription? Go to www.enterolab.com & click on their Frequently Asked
Questions  section. I consider that to be a crash course in
celiac/gluten intolerance.

a second reply that talked about being rude:
*When I go to a BBQ I never ask the hostess questions about the food, when
going to a BBQ I take my own burger and hot dog and wrap them in foil and
ask the people to cook it for me.  I then explain to them that I am NOT
being rude, but have a very serious allergy called Celiac Disease and if I
eat anything with Glutens, wheat, barley, rye or oats or have cross
contamination I end up in the emergency room.
Normally they then understand and are very talkative about my allergy and
want to understand more.  At least I have not been rude by asking questions
beforehand and have taken my own food which most people are grateful about
that and the fact you attended.I actually   think (but I am British) that
it is rude to ask, I would prefer is someone has an allergy to just bring
their food and I will cook it.
*

Most of you suggested food to take with me.  Anywhere from rice crackers
and cheese, to wrapping my own food up for the grill.  Shared items such as
potato salad and chips were also suggested.

Most replies not only thought my sister was rude, but also thought it was
very insensitive of my sister to block me from keeping my health safe.

I am not a cook/baker so I have decided to take my own pre-wrapped hot dog
w/ sauces and corn on the cob (I don't use butter so that won't be an
issue).  Plus a couple of bags of chips for the group to share.

Again thank you for all your responses (some many.......!!!!)  I love this
celiac community and will forever depend on the help and support that is
offered here.

Jami in Oregon