From:
Dave Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:20:48 -0600

Wow ya'll (I'm required to type this way in Texas) what a fast response. 29 responses on the next day. Many were as interested in the results as I am.

13 yes they react from mild to severe
3  no reaction they do it all the time
6 never tried licking envelopes as it is unsanitary, gross, exported from other parts of the world, contaminated
2 react to something in the glue besides gluten
1 suggested that I caught a bug
3 advice to avoid called it a major no no
1 suggested anxiety or psychosomatic reaction or did I go to another restaurant

Suggestions to use gluesticks, tape, each finger once only, veratrum alb 30c.
The majority said they reacted as I did or worse and won't go near a stamp or envelope. My usual technique it to we a dishrag in a small bowl and wipe the envelope quickly.

My symptoms subsided by Wednesday evening. I usually react to very small amounts of gluten, like touching a BBQ sauce bottle (after my bread handling children) and eating with my hands, which is enough to cause gas and drowsiness in 15 minutes followed by the usual intestinal flushing and inflammation that lasts for days up to a week. I am a chef owner of a restaurant and am elbow deep in flour frequently and daily. I do not stir up dust or breath while in the breading station. I prepare GF foods for customers frequently and many of the foods we prepare are GF without the customers knowing it. 2001 is the year I went GF and have not been sick since. No colds, virus, sore throat and even reduced seasonal allergies to having to take Claritin only a couple of times a year. Before GF I lived on antihistamines summer and fall.

Dave in Texas  direct e-mail [log in to unmask]
Thank you for the responses, here are a few of them.

YES! It's not a myth. I even got a reaction from moistening my fingertip in a post office and sealing the envelope with my moistened finger. I'm sure the residue on my finger later made its way into my mouth. The glue *may* be made with cornstarch, but non-food cornstarch is contaminated (I think even food-grade cornstarch is contaminated). I don't even use a moistening stick or sponge; I use tape or press-seal envelopes.

I do. Stamps too. And I react to all kinds of tapes and adhesives.
I am atypical celiac and react topically too. I know folks say it's
not possible, but it happens to me. I sometimes wonder if there are
different 'flavors' of celiacs - with folks reacting in different
ways. If you are out of the mainstream with reactions you can get
hostile reactions from others, including celiacs. Breathing the wheat

No, and I've licked them for years.

The "research" showed years ago that the paste on envelopes doesn't contain
wheat. I probably saw that in Gluten-free Living. You can write to the
magazine to ask.

I licked twelve this morning, if I have a reaction I will let you know. Do not forget it could have been a "bug" you caught.

Yes! I was just diagnosed one year ago and the dietician so no envelopes or stamps anymore. Shortly after, I of course forgot and licked one -- and got sick. Same here - no more envelopes.

The last envelope I licked was in 2003 when I licked three. I was throwing up for hours and had all the other symptoms you describe. I won't do it again.