From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:02:32 -0400

Here is the summary of all the responses on Resturants in Richmond, VA.  Thanks
to all who responded.  I rec'd some very helpful information :)
Marion

You'll probably hear from some Richmond folks but one option is
Ukrops. This is a grocery store that also makes food. Some of their
offerings are GF. They also offer a decent number of specialty GF
items. You can find their GF list at www.ukrops.com.

3 people gave me The West End Gluten Intolerance Group, located in Richmond, VA.
We have a website which lists the restaurants in the area which we recommend:
www.gigofrichmond.org <http://www.gigofrichmond.org>. There are three on the
list which are on the south side of town, closer to Midlothian. PF Changs and
Flemings are both at the Stony Point Towne Center. The website has their phone
numbers, so you can call for directions. PF Changs has the gf menu, but Flemings
will also accomodate the gf diet. Also, there is probably an Outback on that
part of town as well. I live across the river, so I am more familiar with
restaurants closer to me, but I do know that those three are nearer to
Midlothian. The website has more restaurants listed, if you don't mind driving
to the other side of town for the others. There are also grocers and health food
stores listed on the website. On the Midlothian side of town, there would be
Ukrop's, Krogers, and Good Foods Grocery (health food store).
2 people recommended the mexican place. There is a local chain of Mexican
restaurants called Casa Grande (there is one on Midlothian Turnpike near
Johnston-Willis Hospital) where my daughter can always eat the beef tacos,chips
& salsa and Stoney Point Shopping Center (new) has a PF Changs.  There is Good
Foods Grocery on Stony Point Rd, off of Huguenot  Rd.  They have a good
selection of GF products and have been very helpful to the group.

There are 2 health food stores in town:  Good Foods Grocery is on Huguenot
Rd at Stony Point (not far from Midlothian).  You can get frozen or boxed
gf items here, but I have never seen prepared food.  At Elwood Thompson's
(at corner of Elwood and Thompson, near Carytown and I-195), you can buy
ready to eat, prepared at the store "wheat free" cake or torte that is
delicious.  They do not label it as 'gf' but I tried it.  I am extremely
wheat allergic (hives) and had no reaction, so I allowed my very sensitive
gluten-sens.They also have a nice selection of gf foods.

Midlothian has a PF Chang's, an Outback, and a Carraba's.
 Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59 national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a gluten
free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to ease the
ordering process.