From:
Michael Coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 12:53:49 -0500

I got a number of responses to my post regarding use of vegetable oil in
restaurants.  Our sample isn't large enough to prove anything, so it's
important to check for certain whenever eating out, but here's a summary of
the responses.

One person who has checked this out in the U.S. indicated that, every time
she checks, the vegetable oil is, in fact, soybean oil.  (Unfortunately for
her, she's allergic to soy.)

Canadian listmembers indicated that canola oil is widely used in
Canadian restaurants.    And, from my own experience, peanut oil is
traditionally used in Chinese restaurants.

-- Mike
Michael E. Coe
Arlington, Virginia, USA