From:
Dave Westheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:46:26 -0600

I understand the concerns of recent posts concerning proposed FDA
regulations which would restrict interstate sales of compounded
prescriptions. And I understand that Stokes Pharmacy has helped many
celiacs.

But with all due respect, Stokes Pharmacy is *not* the only compounding
pharmacy around! There are literally thousands of compounding
pharmacists.

When I needed a prescription compounded last fall, I called my HMO and
was given the names of four pharmacies within a five-mile radius of my
work and two more within a five-mile radius of my home.

There is also an organization of compounding pharmacists, the
International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists. A gentleman from this
organization told me they have about 1200 member pharmacists in the US
and that there are an estimated 4000 total in the US. You can call them
at 1-800-927-IACP (1-800-927-4227) to find a member pharmacist in your
area. They have an interesting website at http://www.iacprx.org .

I don't wish to discourage anyone from contacting the FDA with comments,
but I do suggest contacting your health care provider and/or the IACP to
find out what is available in your area.

Dave Westheimer
Minneapolis, MN, USA