From:
"debra.dickson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 15:09:00 -0800

Hello again everyone,

What a wonderful and supportive group of people this is!  I want to thank
all of the people who responded to my questions, I learned so much and it
was so comforting to hear from people with the same experiences.  Several
people asked if I would post the responses to my questions.  I would be
happy to and through those responses have developed a few more questions.

 My previous questions: 1.what is the difference between gluten
sensitivity, andceliac disase?

Most people felt that they were one in the same.  However several
responded that gluten sensitivity is more like an allergy and less likely
to do permanent damage to the gut.  About half of the respondents had not
had a biopsy and therefore were reporting on clinical symptoms alone and
all had seen improvement in their situations.  It sounded very
encouraging to me.  It seems difficult to determine concretely between
the two conditions, unless there is 1. a positive biopsy with improvement
on the diet, or 2. a negative biopsy with improvement clinically on the
diet (indicating a mere intolerance).  No one who wrote had had a
negative biopsy and used the diet anyway, but many use it who had had no
biopsy.  I think the bottom line on this question was "not enough data".
 I would welcome more!

 2.  Is gluten sensitivity a precursor to celiac?

Most people who did not feel that they were one in the same, did believe
that intolerance was a precursor.

 3.  Will doing a gluten free diet significantly impact him if he is
"only" sensitive to it (seems like a massive undertaking)? or could
we just limit his intake of gluten?

An overwhelming "it must be All or nothing!"

If everyone wouldn't mind, I have developed a few new questions:

1.  Several people mentioned respiratory problems and "feeling lousy".
My son is severely asthmatic with attentional difficulties and some
hyperactivity.  Has any one with children (or adults) seen improvement in
these areas on a GF diet?  If it is all allergy and gut realted it would
stand to reason that these might be suspect as well.

2.  Several people suggested a skin biopsy to determine if it is DH.  If
the biopsy reveals that  it is DH, is this conclusive for celiac? Will
this prevent the need fopr an intestinal biopsy?

3.  Does anyone know of a support group in the SE CT area?
Thank you all so much for all of your help. I have a feeling we will be
chatting a lot more and I look forward to getting to know people.
Sincerely, debby