Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:47:05 -0400

I am a biopsy-diagnosed celiac.  I have a 42 year old neice with extreme neurological problems to include vision disturbances (she can no longer read or write), memory loss, gait issues, among other things.  Initially the doctors suspected MS but her spinal tap was inconclusive.  She's also had a brain MRI as well as other tests and has undergone psychological assessments.  After 10 months, she still has no diagnosis.  The doctors have put her on a drug typically used for Alzheimers with limited success.  Previously, they tried some type of MS drug cocktail on at least two occasions, again with limited improvement.  Her 62 year old father has been recently diagnosed with dementia.

I have read as much as I can on celiac and neurological problems but nothing really to the extent that she is suffering.  The most seemingly applicable article I could find was by Nancy Kaiser who speaks of neurological CD but it is not detailed enough in symptomology.  Her doctors were given info on CD in the early stages of diagnosis but I don't think they've really pursued it.  I would like to see her tested for celiac.  I am 2000 miles away now and cannot go to the doctor with her to push for this.  Because of the variability in current CD testing, I am thinking of offering to pay for Dr. Fine's testing and having relatives close to her convince her to do this.  As far as I know, she does not suffer gastro issues.  Has anyone done Dr. Fine's testing and then was able to convince their doctors that it is celiac?

Do I seem to be off-base in this issue?

Kathy