From:
"Joanne D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 03:22:31 EDT

Mike and all,

So far, I have read the other messages posted to the list and am quite impressed
with such good responses.  Every one was quite accurate, from what I have
learned.   Specifically mentioned were three or four things that are of enough
importance to warrant repeating.

First, understanding the differences between the allergies, sensitivites, and
intolerances are an important issue.

Intolerances (like lactose) result from lack of enzymes, etc, necessary to
properly assimilate the offending substance.  Another example of this is those
of primarily northern European heritage that lack a Dela 6 enzyme required to
break down the Omega fatty acids into thier by products, rendering them useless
to the body.  Many "maladies" from lack of essential fatty acid absorbtion can
occur as result, not to mention those GI problems associated with improper fat
breakdown.

Allergies can be classified as Type I, II, III, IV, and often, those in III and
IV resemble sensitivities in symptomology.  Type I often is life threatening, as
anaphalaxis can frequently occur.  These tend to be more "fixed" or permanent in
nature, and the person must often carry AnaGuard epinephrine syringes to prevent
shock should accidental exposure exist.  In some medical communities, Type I
allergies are the only "recognized" allergy to food substances.

The other end of the "allergy" syndrome (Type III or IV) are similar to
sensitivities, in that the symptoms are rarely, if ever, life threatening, vague
or sometimes almost imperceptible in symptomology.  Often, there are not IgE
antibodies, but may be IgG antibodies instead.  Many of these can be easily
desensitized with antigens, or often by simpe elimination of exposure to the
offender (easier to do with foods than pollens, etc).

The discussion regarding the immune systems' reaction to offending organisms
brings an important issue to light.  By ingesting gluten, the immune system, by
activating lymphocytes,  becomes ready to fight off that which damages the body.
Whatever is present in the body for a sustained period during the time the
lymphocytes seek the offending organism, becomes a possible target for antibody
formation.  REPEAT: eating the same food during this period of heightened immune
system activity greatly increases the chances for developing antibodies to the
particular food that is constantly present during the antigen marking and
antibody formation period.  IOW, when gluten is consumed by a celiac, other
foods eaten commonly stand a greater chance of becoming new sensitivities.  As
also stated, during this period, even antibodies against one's own self can be
made!

This brings us to the "variety is the spice of life" issue.  Most Americans,
especially those who consume much processed food, repeat eat the most common
ingredients: wheat, corn, soy, ... which are in almost everything (I developed
corn and soy, and.....).  It is usually the most commonly eaten foods that
should be eliminated first, because they are the most likely suspects since they
are the most likely to be present during immune system activation.

Bill Elkus further suggested not only a book, but the rotation diet as a tool.
This is an invaluable tool, because it literally dissallows one from eating a
food on at least three out of four days.  If a "reaction" occurs, (vague
reactions could include dizziness, headaches, muscle spasms, sleepiness,
lightheadedness, skin flushing heart rate and blood pressure changes, or/and
digestive problems) you have a much  shorter list of things to choose from as
possible offenders.

The other advantage to using a rotation diet is that of nutrition.  A wider
variety of foods offer a wider range of nutritional elements.  A "true"
elimination diet can bring up some concerns about proper nutrition.  With a
rotation diet, you still eat a variety of foods, but much less common ones, and
usually eliminate foods you eat/ate most frequently before.

The nutrition aspect leads us to the discussion of the Omega oils, which are
found in varying proportions and quantities of differnent foods.  By rotating,
you stand the greatest chance of getting all of such nutrients spaced evenly
throughout the diet.  Since Omega oils are important in the formation of
prostoglandins and other hormones and enzymes, proper essential fatty acid
intake, along with proper intake of all nutrients, decreases the chances that
food absorption difficulties caused by enzyme deficiencies will continue.
Again, without strict adherence to a gluten free diet, fats will literally go in
one end and out the other, rather than being properly absorbed and utilized by
the body.  If one is not sure whether he is Delta 6 deficient, some oils bypass
(ar further down the chain) the Delta 6 enzyme conversion.  For Omega 3, fish
oils in the diet work, for Omega 6, borage oil  and evening primrose oil
supplements may be worth adding to the diet.

In summary,  reactions can be caused by intolerances, allergies, or
sensitivites, as well as gluten ingestion, and the former ones (except Type I
allergies) can often result from the later.  To aid in identifying allergens,
most importantly, gluten must be strictly avoided, afterwhich, a systematic
method of identifying other offending foods should be instituted.  A rotation
diet is an excellent means of providing ample nutrition, as well as a means of
identifying reactive foods in the diet.
Once the offenders are eliminated, they must also be completely avoided for some
period (anywhere from six months, but I would wait at least a year).  As IgG
antibodies fade (they do after time, just like on the IgG gliadin tests, etc.),
your body should be able to tolerate those foods again, and they can be added
back into the diet.

One more word of caution and confusion clarification:  AFTER ingesting gluten,
identifying other offending foods may need to be curtailed for a week or two
until after the digestive system stabili zes again.  In my personal experience,
I found foods I thought to be potential problems (from my rotation) reactive,
but later, had no problems.  With nuts, I had difficulty digesting them until
after my gutt had healed.  With a healed gutt, they created no problem for me,
but after an accidental gluten ingestion, I could no longer tolerate the high
fat content in them.

The last statement is why I cannot emphasize enough the importance of adhering
to a STRICT GLUTEN FREE DIET prior to, and during any other attempt to identify
other offending foods.  Otherwise, you may end up getting false reactions to
foods that are really no problem except after a gluten ingestion!!!!!!  Worst
offenders for me were foods containing varying degrees of lactose and FATS,
which occur in many nuts, meats, etc.  Reducing fat intake after gluten
ingestion greatly reduces abdominal distress.  Lactose, even in the a few of the
harder cheeses, may also suddenly become a problem.  Thankfully, those also go
away within a week or two after accidental ingestion.

The drawbacks of the diet is 1) planning the diet, 2) sticking to it, and 3) the
additional expense.  For example, instead of buying/using just one or two oils
in your kitchen (like soy or corn oil), you will choose from sesame, walnut,
sunflower, safflower, canola, rice bran, coconut, olive, peanut, flaxseed,
macadamia nut, kukui nut, and for supplemental purposes, there are oils like
borage, evening primrose, etc.  Which oils are available on a given day depends
upon how your diet is planned.  Of course, there are more listed than you may
need or choose to use, but you can see also how it can expand the diet. Many are
loaded with excellent EFAs.  Again, variety is the spice of life!

For more information of fats and oils, I recommend a book called "Fats that
Heal, Fats that Kill", by Udo Erasmus.  After a while, it becomes a bit
redundant, but the main points are clearly made, with an excellent discussion on
the molecular basis of the different fats; saturated and unsaturated fats, and
why they are so, as well as their roles in the body.  It also give a list of the
different oils, and their fatty acid makeup, so you can select the most
nutritional oils for your diet.

I hope this helps some.  There have been plenty of discussions in the past on
food allergies, rotation diets, etc., but I have not followed them all closely
or seen full discussions on them.  I guess I must be feeling a little
extraordinarily *wordy* this evening!  But it is an important topic.

ONE more word (or two), I'd like to add.  There have been claims by some
manufacturers that thier products are "gluten free", but may not be.  Example is
brown rice syrup used on MANY products, including Rice Milk, and in UltraClear
(makers of Sustain).  These manufacturers claim that those who react to thier
product are reacting to something else, but not any gluten in thier product.
Specifically, California Natural Products makes a brown rice syrup with an
enzyme byproduct from a fungal culture on barley malt.  This is used also on
Rice Twice Cereal by US Mills.  ....

      .....My personal opinion is that these DO contain gluten, and the
"reaction" to them is NOT to "something else" if NO other products are eaten
besides them, and a DH rash breaks out.  DH rashes only react by specific IgA
antibodies to gluten protiens.  Digestive problems CAN be tricky, but DH rashes
are NOT.  They are gluten specific, unlike digestive problems.  If no other
gluten is consumed, and one's DH rash is in remission EXCEPT after gluten
ingestion, it can only be caused by gluten.  Based upon my personal rash, The
brown rice syrup made by the named company and used by many others DOES contain
gluten!

This concludes my post of the month.

Joanne
Minneapolis