Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 19:46:15 EDT

HI LISTMATES:
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE REPLIES!  It is always heartening to receive so many
informative answers.
I heard from about 4 dozen people.
Most (about 90%) said that Hellman's Regular Mayo & Boar's Head All Beef Hot
Dogs were GF.
About 70% said that Heinz Ketchup was GF.
The remaining responses said that Heinz was NOT GF & they suggested Hunts
Ketchup or Del Monte as GF alternatives.
SEVERAL PEOPLE SAID THAT THEY TOO HAD REACTIONS TO SOME OF THESE FOODS,
ESPECIALLY THESE EXACT HOT DOGS.  These responders indicated that they too
are quite sensitive & react to many processed foods.

Here are a few responses that capture the essence of many of the messages
from people who also react mysteriously:
~I would definitely go with the Boar's Head hot dogs as the problem.  It
could be MSG, stabilizers, the casing or the spices.

~Boars Head hot dogs, Heinz ketchup, and Hellman's mayonaisse are all GF.
That
doesn't mean that you can't be reacting to some ingredient in them that has
nothing to do with gluten. I, for example, react to onions, chocolate, and
tea.
This has nothing to do with celiac disease, but simply my own personal
reactions

~Having worked in the meat industry for 24 years I have to say this:  I don't
know a thing about Boars Head brand but every hot dog I do know about has
some "fillers."  These fillers could contain gluten.  I am now learning
about the ingredients that do not have to be listed on ingredient labels (is
that an oxymoron??) and am horrified.
ME TOO!

~I've been told Heinz Ketchup is GF but I always react to it.

~I eat all of these foods without any problems and I have always been a
reactor.  I'd try eliminating these foods for three weeks, then
reintroducing in a small amount, one food at a time.  If you have no
reaction, that's probably not the source.  Sometimes it seems like old
reliables set me off for no reason and I wonder if it is another food
sensitivity, or just something that's going around.  This elimination
process usually works for me; I have multiple intolerances so I run into
problems fairly frequently, but am super-careful about gluten--don't
want to do that again!

Over the past 2 years I have noticed that the less I eat that is processed in
any way, the better I feel!
I guess I will have to crawl back into my bubble...
Thank you again for your caring responses.
Best of Health~
Kathy C